Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Louisiana’

Louisiana treasurer John Schroder said Wednesday he would pull $794 million of state money from BlackRock Inc. funds.

“Your blatantly anti-fossil fuel policies would destroy Louisiana’s economy,” Mr. Schroder wrote.

WSJ

Here is the pertinent guidance from Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry:

Read Full Post »

Per a very good OGJ update, API, Louisiana, Chevron, bp, Shell, NOIA, the EnerGeo trade group of geophysical contractors, 14 states filing jointly, and the US Chamber of Commerce have submitted briefs to the US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

Don’t expect a decision soon. The environmental advocacy groups are not scheduled to file their responses until Aug. 26, after which replies can be filed. No decision is expected before November at the earliest.

Previous posts and background information on Lease Sale 257.

Read Full Post »

Five projects have already been approved by FERC in Louisiana, with seven more in Texas and Mississippi.

New Fortress Energy’s Fast LNG liquefaction solution is particularly interesting.

New Fortress Energy Inc. (NASDAQ: NFE) (together with its affiliates, “NFE”) today announced that it has concurrently filed applications with the U.S. Maritime Administration, the U.S. Coast Guard and U.S. Department of Energy to request all necessary permits and regulatory approvals to site, construct and operate a new offshore LNG liquefaction terminal off the coast of Louisiana (“the Project”) with a capacity of exporting approximately 145 billion cubic feet of natural gas per year, equivalent to approximately 2.8 million tons per annum (MTPA) of LNG.

The Project will be located in federal waters approximately 16 miles off the southeast coast of Grand Isle, Louisiana, and will access abundant U.S. gas supply by leveraging existing infrastructure. Procurement of all long-lead materials is complete and modular assembly of equipment is underway. Subject to the receipt of all required permits and approvals, NFE targets beginning operations in the first quarter of 2023.

businesswire

Read Full Post »

The Court VACATES and REMANDS the Record of Decision for Lease Sale 257 to the Department of the Interior.

Rudolph Contreras, US District Judge

The decision is yet another victory for OPEC+, which is doing quite well of late, and a loss for our economy and energy security.

So here is where we are:

  • June 15, 2021: The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana issues injunction invalidating Federal oil and gas leasing “pause”
  • September 30, 2021: BOEM announces Sale 257 for the Gulf of Mexico
  • November 17, 2021: BOEM holds Sale 257
  • January 27. 2022: The U.S. District Court for DC vacates Sale 257 and remands the Record of Decision to the Dept. of the Interior
  • Five year leasing plan expires in June 2022
  • So is the ball in Louisiana’s (Federal) court?

Read Full Post »

GoM: BOEM proposes first Gulf oil and gas lease sale for 2021 - Lease Sale  257

Not much news regarding the suit to block Sale 257. U.S. District Judge Randolph Moss had previously authorized Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry to join the case as a defendant alongside the Department of the Interior (DOI), meaning that at least one party is sincerely interested in defending the sale. This comment by Judge Moss was telling:

Moss said he agreed to the state’s request to join the case because he harbored sufficient doubts that the state’s interests would be adequately represented by the federal government.

Reuters

Read Full Post »

Link to letter

The Louisiana coastal parishes are united in working with each other and with you to see the drilling process expedited as quickly as possible.  It is imperative to our collective economies that we move forward with the process of providing the energy that moves our nation.

Read Full Post »

We have heard plenty about Macondo’s real, imagined, and convenient villains, but very little about the heroes.  Let’s pay tribute to them:

  1. First and foremost the eleven men who lost their lives exploring for energy for our economy and security.  Sadly, were it not for the massive spill, their sacrifice would have received little public attention.
  2. The rescue crews who brought the other 115 workers safely to shore.
  3. The responders who worked under difficult conditions to minimize the environmental effects of the spilled oil.
  4. The relief well crews who demonstrated how complex drilling operations should be conducted.
  5. The ROV and well intervention teams.  The performance of the ROVs and subsea tools is perhaps the biggest Macondo success story.  Their pioneering work will be studied in developing the well intervention, capping, and collection plans that will be a part of future drilling programs.
  6. The people of Louisiana, who despite their personal adversity continue to believe that energy, fishing, and other offshore interests can and must co-exist.
  7. The MMS oil spill research program.  In the lean years following the Valdez oil spill research surge, MMS continued to conduct important burning, dispersant, remote sensing, and mechanical cleanup studies, while upgrading and expanding the use of the nation’s major oil spill response test facility – Ohmsett.
  8. The Unified Command scientists who are providing comprehensive scientific data about the effects of the spill, and refuse to be swayed by sensational media reports.
  9. Oil consuming bacteria!
  10. Others?

Read Full Post »

Per Nola.com, the Bayou St. Denis blowout has been capped.

“The Unified Command was able to accomplish this in less than a week due to the fantastic cooperation between the federal, state and local officials and efforts of the contractors,” Capt. John Arenstam, the Coast Guard Federal On Scene Coordinator, said in a news release.

The fact that this incident occurred at all is not so fantastic.  The Coast Guard is investigating.  We look forward to seeing the report.

Read Full Post »

  • “Worst environmental disaster in US history” –  Reporters may want to wait until all of the data are in before making those kind of statements.  Largest oil spill doesn’t necessarily equate to the worst environmental disaster.  Some very large spills have had minimal long-term environmental damage, while the effects of some smaller spills have been quite serious.  The extensive long-term monitoring program will give us the answers.
  • Loss of wetlands – Louisiana has experienced serious wetland losses for years with little attention from the national media.  The barrier islands, which were approved by Admiral Allen, have been on the drawing board for some time and are primarily for wetlands restoration purposes.  Ironically, these islands may not have been approved and funded were it not for the oil spill.
  • BP employees – I’d like to see some reporting from the standpoint of typical BP employees.  Their lives have also been shattered.  The very existence of their company, which has lost 1/4 of its market value, is threatened.  While few BP employees had anything to do with the Macondo disaster, they are all working hard to set things right and continue their domestic and international operations.  It must be frustrating to realize that no matter how hard they work, it won’t be good enough to satisfy the critics.
  • Will the national reaction do more damage than the spill?  US production is threatened in the Gulf and elsewhere, and jobs are already being lost.  Preventing offshore drilling and production doesn’t prevent oil consumption.  As long as we consume oil, there will be a risk of spilling it during the production and transportation process.  We need to better manage those risks.  We didn’t eliminate tanker transport after Valdez, and we shouldn’t eliminate offshore exploration and production in the wake of Macondo.  Let’s not boycott ourselves and make OPEC the primary beneficiary of this disaster.
  • “Nationalize BP”- Just when you thought the commentary couldn’t get any sillier, you hear this kind of nonsense.  Hugo Chavez must be smiling.

Read Full Post »

Contrary to an earlier report (see below),  the Coast Guard has told Upstream that the 11 workers are still missing and the search continues.

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts